The Sorting. The Fucking Sorting.

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: The Sorting. The Fucking Sorting.

Post by Tom Foolery »

Tom Foolery wrote:Found 17 more Lenticular covers. Since I bought so many, the guy did me a solid. I paid less than $2.50 for each one.

I’m only missing 10 now.

Thanos
Secret Warriors
Punisher
Moon Girl/Devil Dinosaur
Dr Strange
Daredevil
ASM:Renew Your Vows
X-Men Gold
Royals
Squirrel Girl
Found six more today. And the Legacy oneshot as well.
The final four are

ASM:Renew Your Vows
Daredevil
Punisher
Thanos
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Should Devil’s Reign go with the Daredevil books, or by itself. I know its a small distinction, but alphabetically it would be separated by Darkhawk, Deadpool, Deathstroke, and other assorted books. If it’s just the six issue mini, I’d be inclined to just throw in behind the current Daredevil series, but I can’t remember if its getting a bunch of tie-in minis and oneshots like every other Marvel Event.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I would personally have it in my "events" box, which is in chrono order as opposed to alphabetical - Secret Wars at the front & Secret Wars at the back!

Twigs me though - next time I'm home I need to move WW Hulk into that box. It is currently in my Hulk box for sure. Weird what you think of when you're many miles from your comic collection.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I was gonna put Clea’s new ‘Strange’ ongoing in the ‘S’ box alongside Strange Academy, but now I see on the cover it’s got Dr Strange’s “legacy” numbering.
So….in the Dr Strange box? Or leave it in ‘S’?

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Continue the numbering, just like Black Panther behind the DD issues and Incredible Herc behind Hulk. Yuck.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Step 1. A couple weeks ago, I bought another large batch of 25 drawer boxes. I used a couple to maintain my current books I buy every week, but the rest are for the large pile of toplid boxes in the basement.

Step 2. As you know, I organized my books in ‘chunks’ every 2-3 years. So those books are/were in alphabetical order. But the boxes are stacked in the basement in no discernible order. And there’s probably at least five different ‘chunks’; 2011-2012, ‘13-‘15, ‘16-18, the Nu52, etc. And that’s just the toplid stuff along the east wall. There’s the stuff on the west wall that’s all the older Drawer Boxes from California, and the books I was actively collecting for the last 12 years. (And there’s the even more recent uncataloged stuff upstairs, but now I’m digressing.) For now let’s focus on the toplid mess.

Step 3. I cut some wood pallets in half. They are (almost) perfectly the size of the drawers and keep the stuff off the floor just in case, heaven forfend, there’s any flooding down there. I’m thinking I’m gonna cut another one today to stretch the remaining area on the floor.

Step 4. Last afternoon, I began the tortuous process of unstacking the toplids, moving them out of the way, and going thru them combining and condensing the collection into one collection stacking the drawer boxes as I go. Between 2:00 and 10:30, I only got six drawers done. I took a couple breaks because goddamn boxes are heavy, and also dinner.

I’m also leaving a little space in each box, because I am assuming I will make a mistake and find a trove of books that will need to be consolidated into boxes I already finished. I started working backwards at “Z” because of the way I’m lining them against the wall.

Problems I foresee…1. drawer boxes don’t hold as much as toplids. Especially since I’m leaving room for error in each box. 2. The 25 drawers I bought aren’t enough for the entire stack anyway, so this is a long term project either way. 3. I’m gonna have a shit ton of empty toplids. Even if I flatten them down. Some are gonna get recycled because they are in shit condition, but I don’t want to toss out plenty of perfectly decent comic boxes. I thought maybe craigs list or something, but I’m not sure I want every tom dick’n’harry knowing the address of the biggest comic collection in eastern Iowa.

But anyway. Once this massive undertaking is finished. Phase 2 begins, which is combining the stuff on the west wall, with the stuff on the east wall and having one huge organized collection.

Phase 3 will be integrating the original collection still over in my parents basement, the new stuff upstairs(which is continually growing every week) and this stuff in the basement into one mega colossal collection. By then, I’ll be 80, and can enjoy it for six months before the heart attack.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

You can use the drawer boxes as "final" & the empty boxes with lids as holding tanks/books awaiting processing? And yes, people will pay a couple of bucks for serviceable long boxes. Facebook marketplace or the local comic group I'm sure will find them a home.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I have completed 23 drawer boxes. I was in the middle of sorting the last box, which was Silver Surfer thru Spawn, and I found a bunch of mis-filed Spider-Man books. I didn’t feel like reorganizing the previous three boxes to accommodate the Spidey stuff, so I called it a night.

Since it will be a few months (or more) before I order another large batch of drawer boxes, this project is getting back burnered for now. I might try to re-stack the top lids in such a way as it will be easier to go thru them when I resume at a later date.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Jane Foster & The Mighty Thor. Does it go in the ‘J’s for Jane, in with the ‘Thor’ stuff OR since it’s following the Legacy Numbering(it is marked LGY 20) for Jane’s two short ongoing Valkyrie books, should it go in the ‘V’ box?

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Even though it’s technically called A.X.E Judgment Day and should be filed in the ‘A’ box, I’m putting this year’s Marvel Event in the ‘J’ box for Judgment.

Also, I got the Eve of Judgment oneshot that kicks off the event today(I got the Variant Mr. Garcin cover because it looked dope) and I read it. I have no idea what’s going on. I guess being two years behind on reading both X-Men and Eternals will make that happen. Also not sure why the Avengers are even poking their noses in, but I guess X-Men vs Eternals wouldn’t sell as many books.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

In my vast continuing effort to sort and catalog my books, I initially had a natural break at the Secret Wars mega-event. Everything up to that point is/was written down, sorted, and logged on cbrealm. Then I had another break around 2018. I was going to catalog those dozen or so boxes of stuff from 2016-2018. But then I got behind, and then we moved into the house, and I’ve been slowly reading the 2018-2020 boxes, trying to catchup. I’m getting down to the end of the reading (three more boxes, plus going back and reading some stuff I skipped, like Detective and the assorted X-books) but now I’m looking at the two separate collections, as well as the DC Rebirth stuff and it is 32 boxes, plus seven more boxes of older back issues I’ve purchased in the last couple years.

I’m debating on whether to just re-sort them all into one alphabetical collection once I’m done with the reading. Which will be an added undertaking, but long term it will be easier to find stuff. I’m hoping to have everything read and sorted by the end of the year.

That will leave just the newest six(soon to be seven) boxes of everything I’ve bought since I moved last year.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The DrawerBox company is having a super secret sale this week. If you buy 5 cases, the savings stack and you can save $75. If you buy 10 cases, you can save $200. That’s 50(!) drawers.

I can rationalize that I’m going to buy them eventually, so I may as well do it now when I can get a discount. But that’s still like $800+ to pull the trigger on. Ouch.

I was budgeting for 5 cases before December anyway. I’m probably gonna do it.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Last weekend and this weekend, I started plowing thru the collection in the basement and transferring them into the drawer boxes. I waffled on it for so long because I had to unstack all the toplids down out of the way, and I was unmotivated to do that. Going in reverse order from X, so I’m down to the last half dozen boxes; just Batman and the ‘A’ stuff.

But apparently I have a different idea of how to separate all of Batman’s ongoings, minis, prestige books, oneshots, and different universes like the Arkham spinoffs and Batman Beyond, because every box was different. So I’m taking a break and watching Empire Strikes Back. But I’m hoping to finish off the last few boxes today.

The next step will be to re-organize the boxes I just organized and combine them with the boxes on the other side of the room that I brought from California, so that everything will be in one big alphabetical archive. (144 drawer boxes)

The step after that is to finish my reading of the front room boxes and then put them in order, and put them on cbrealm. (39 more boxes).

Those two steps might swap actually.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

In progress
Attachments
DA4C21E1-AE0C-4447-84E1-FED6EA2A5028.jpeg
DA4C21E1-AE0C-4447-84E1-FED6EA2A5028.jpeg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 458 times
5102B257-6168-4B68-AAE2-D45471BE31B5.jpeg
5102B257-6168-4B68-AAE2-D45471BE31B5.jpeg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 458 times
C9F4B2A2-4B44-48C8-8AA2-6032601CFBAB.jpeg
C9F4B2A2-4B44-48C8-8AA2-6032601CFBAB.jpeg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 458 times

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Pretty sure I can a crate being stored away by top men.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.