I'm fucking ashamed

cars are like, the coolest thing besides chicks... in fact, anarky thinks they're cooler than chicks because he's got problems... discuss...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

I'm fucking ashamed

Post by anarky »

I've never changed my own oil.

I've changed the air and cabin filters. And done all sorts of work around the house. But not the oil.

Even my wife has, and has told me it's not hard.

So I decided to look into it.

Fuck me, I've been paying people more than a 200% markup over retail (much less wholesale) to do something that fucking simple?

Wow. Just wow.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: I'm fucking ashamed

Post by Tom Foolery »

See, I look at it the other way. Yeah, I can change it.
But the hassle of getting under the car and then afterward disposing of the oil isn't worth saving $25 for something I do twice a year.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Eight times, counting both cars. And the markup on synthetic (which both require) is fucking obscene.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

You change the oil that often even with synthetic?! I change my oil once per year (or 10,000 miles) and that's about right. That's one of the reasons why I switched to synthetic was so I didn't have to get an oil change so often.
Sweet berry wine!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

That's a lot o'oil changes, Chux. I never go by the date, only the mileage. No way in hell synthetic oil is broken down beyond use after 3 months if you've only put on a normal amount of mileage.
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

I overestimated (kinda a lot, based on our records), but we do put a good deal of miles on the car. The town we're in was one of the fastest growing in America before the housing crash, but they never got the businesses to support the number of residents before most businesses stopped expanding, so it's Walmart or 20-minute trips into town. (We try to consolidate trips as much as possible, but still have to do that once or twice a week, in addition to the daily commutes.)